About Us

The society is a charity which exists for educational purposes to promote the study of any aspect of the history of the palatine counties of Lancashire and Cheshire and successor local authorities.

The aims of the society are achieved principally through lectures and the publication of an annual volume of transactions. The constitution of the society is published in volume 145 of Transactions for 1996 and is also available here.

Articles published in Transactions, as a peer reviewed journal, reflect recent high quality research and scholarship on the two counties.

Illustration from our annual transactions

In This Section

  • Our History
    The historic society was founded at public gathering in Liverpool on 20th June 1848
  • Our Council
    The business of the Society is conducted by a Council, which normally meets three times a year
  • Contact Us
    Please email or send an enquiry with any questions you may have about the Society
  • Star Chamber, Leasowe Castle
    Leasowe Castle is thought to have been built in about 1593 by Ferdinando, 5th earl of Derby. After the demolition of the old Exchequer Buildings at Westminster in 1836 some of the oak panelling from Star Chamber was used to panel the room shown in the photograph .
    Find Castles in the Archive